Can you tune panel traps accurately?

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Ethan Winer

Post by Ethan Winer »

fitZ,

> Voila! <

Okay great. And now that you think you finally have it, I'll throw in this monkey wrench:

A panel does not flex in a single dimension. If you make it too wide it will flop around and vibrate at multiple modes. I'm not enough of a physicist to say whether that's good or bad for a panel trap, but I'll guess it's bad. Have a look at these fabulous animations:

www.gmi.edu/~drussell/Demos.html

Click on "Rectangular membrane" about halfway down the page. But look at the other animations there too. Dr. Russell has put together some amazing stuff.

--Ethan
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Ethan, thank you for that incredible link - don't have time right now, but I can envision spending a few HOURS there (in lieu of sleep, most likely :? ) Steve
cadesignr

Post by cadesignr »

:shock: Hello Ethan. By "Voila!"I didn't mean I "got it", I meant YOU finally understood my question. I'll probably NEVER "get" this stuff. I meant to totally drop my interest in acoustics, but even I fail once in a while. Like a bad habit, I have a lapse of commitment every now and then.....(sigh). But when I come face to face with links such as this, its like having a shot of reality slapped in my face. "whack"! ........thanks, I needed that. Ahhhhhhhhh.....now I can get back to what I was doing, instead of following brainfarts :roll: Thanks for the reality check again. Now where did I put that glue........and I DON"T mean for panel absorbers either. Hahahaha!

fitZ :P
alright, breaks over , back on your heads......
Ethan Winer

Post by Ethan Winer »

fitZ,

> I meant YOU finally understood my question. <

Sorry, yes, I realized that. I meant now that you finally got the answer to what you've been asking, here's more to confuse matters.

> Now where did I put that glue <

ROF,L. Yeah, as in "Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue."

--Ethan
Ethan Winer

Post by Ethan Winer »

Steve,

> thank you for that incredible link <

Yes, it's amazing stuff all right. I found that site initially from a Google search while looking for how a drum head vibrates.

Be sure to check out the baseball bat and electric and acoustic guitar animations.

--Ethan
cadesignr

Post by cadesignr »

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue."
:roll:.puleeeeeeze.......
Like in gluing aircraft wing ribs and curved raised panels. Try those. Makes absorbers kids play. :wink:
fitZ
alright, breaks over , back on your heads......