FLOORING

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

tmay4

FLOORING

Post by tmay4 »

I want to know does the color of the wood, would make a difference, also what about laminate wood flooring. THANKS
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

The color of things in a studio only affects your perception visually - what matters is the acoustic performance of each part of the room - this is a function of how hard/soft, porosity, surface smoothness, rigidity of mounting, etc - from an acoustic standpoint, there's not a lot of difference between concrete, vinyl and wood - the difference comes in by way of how they are supported - this changes the acoustics by changing the firmness of the mounting, the resonance behind the surface (like walls, and floated floors, ceilings) - concrete, because it's stiffer than just about any other material normally used, returns more bass to the room (and requires more bass trapping to get the room neutral) - wood, unless it's glued directly to the concrete, will always be at least a bit more flexible (therefore more absorbent) at lower frequencies - at higher frequencies, reflectiveness makes more of a difference than stiffness.

Generally, ANY type of hard floor is better in a studio than ANY carpet, which only absorbs fairly high frequencies and therefore deadens the room without maintaining even frequency response.

Hope that helped... Steve
tmay4

Post by tmay4 »

thanks that helped alot, I have one more question. What and where can I buy that material that people used instead of foam. I not sure what it is called and how it is used but its the material that you build abox for and hang it on the wall and put some kind of material over it. thanks
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

It's rigid fiberglass, sometimes mineral wool - and, if you'll update your profile to include a general location I'll see what I can find... Steve
tmay4

Post by tmay4 »

thanks i updated it
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Closest thing we have so far are sources in Houston and Dallas - here's a link -

http://www.spi-co.com/servicecenterdirectory.mv

Listed under Louisiana all they show are 4 places in Texas. You might get closer by checking your local yellow pages under commercial insulation contractors; some will sell to individuals, some not. People usually just call every possible til they get a "yes" -

The material you want will be either mineral wool, rockwool or rigid fiberglass preferably in 2-4 pounds per cubic foot - prices should run less than $1 per square foot for 1", and thicker stuff proportionally higher. 2" is minimum for most purposes.

Hope that helps... Steve