Soffit / Flush Mount and Surround Circle Questions ...

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

FriFlo

Soffit / Flush Mount and Surround Circle Questions ...

Post by FriFlo »

Hey there!

A while ago I started my first (big) thread for a general studio layout. Due to some problems with the room unrelated to acoustic it took a while, but soon i will plan the soffit mount construction, which i have some questions about. If any detail about the room seems to be missing, you can probably find it in the older thread:
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... =1&t=17825

I guess I need to figure out the distance from all speakers to the listening position and that has to be fitting for the room. There seems to be no general rule, what distance a near field monitor is supposed to be at. With free standing speakers i would just try it out, but with flush mounting it seems, I have to do it right from the start. So here is my first question: How do I find the right distance? Or does it just have to be within the usual boundaries and the rest is just determined by the room?

I have 5 Adam P22A's and an Adam Sub10. I will primarily do stereo, but decided to go with a 5.1 setup as well. I want to plan the soffit mount construction in a way, that I might add an additional stereo pair with more low end (something like Adam S3A or the newer modell). The room is probably to be to small for bigger speakers, so I guess this will make my construction future-proof.

My first problem is the radius of the surround circle: On the one hand I suppose, a distance of 2m would be good for a good stereo image. On the other hand, that radius would bring a problem for the 5.1 setup ...

This is the setup with 2m radius - due to the dimensions of the room LS and RS cannot be placed at 110-120 degree:
200cm.jpg
This is the setup with 1.5m radius - Surround looks fine, but there is not much room between the speakers and I plan to put a big TV screen there an I think this is not wide enough for the size of those speakers:
150cm.jpg
What would you suggest given the circumstances? LS and RS could be free standing on stands or wall mounted
John Sayers
Site Admin

Re: Soffit / Flush Mount and Surround Circle Questions ...

Post by John Sayers »

This article is worth a read regarding 5:1 configuration.
5_1_Rec.pdf
John Sayers Productions

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.
FriFlo

Re: Soffit / Flush Mount and Surround Circle Questions ...

Post by FriFlo »

Thanks, John. What i gathered from this:
The rear L and R speakers must be toed in, angled by 110° to 150°. Optimal rear speaker angling for most environments and genres of music is in the range of 135° - 150°.
So, basically my idea of not using 120 degree is even better? Very well! Than I have one problem less! :yahoo: