Anybody using Adam A7X with a sub?!

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

Lockerz

Anybody using Adam A7X with a sub?!

Post by Lockerz »

Hey, so im moving into my new room next week, it's 13ft x 9 ft x 8 ft (l x w x h), I have 2 x floor to ceiling bass traps filled with rocksil rs45, 4 x GIK 244 bass panels and a mix cloud

I own the Adam a7x monitors at the moment and due to me lacking absolutely all sub in the room I have been in for the past 6 months I want to buy one for my new room,

My budget is the sub 7 pro however I could absolutely stretch for the sub 8 if necessary (courtesy of the bank!)

Has anybody had any experiences with the A7X with either of these subs? The sub 8 seems like the most sensible option to me however I am not in the position to demo them unfortunately so will have to go off recommendations?

Thanks for any help!!
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Anybody using Adam A7X with a sub?!

Post by Soundman2020 »

I have a pair of A7's plus the Sub-8, and it's a good combination. I wouldn't go smaller than the Sub-8, though: It sounds great, but doesn't have a lot of power. It's fine for your size room, but anything smaller would be too small, I think.

To be honest, I think the Sub-10 is probably a better match for a pair of A7s. I haven't tried the Sub-7, but I suspect it would be underpowered for anything but a really small room, or unusually low listening levels. Go with the Sub-8, or if you can stretch finances a bit more, then get the Sub-10.

My 0.02!

- Stuart -
Lockerz

Post by Lockerz »

Thanks Stuart,

I normally mix and produce around 60db however when I get into my new room I'll probably be cranking the sub up quite a bit to get a good feel for the low end so yeah the 8 sounds good, might see if there's any 10's knocking round 2nd hand also

Thanks for your reply!
Lockerz

Post by Lockerz »

Stuart - I have done some futher research and I see some people complaining that the sub does not have a bypass and it can be annoying when mixing a new track to not be able to bypass the sub, do you find this an issue or have a work around?

Thanks
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Not a problem for me: I don't often need to bypass the sub anyway, and when I do, I just use the remote to turn it all the way down: So it takes a few seconds instead of "instant", but for the way I work, that's not an issue.

But if it is an issue for you, then just use an external crossover to do the job.

On the other hand, even for subs that do have a bypass switch on the back, you'd have to go crawling around on the floor to flip the switch anyway! It's hard to A/B like that... :)

- Stuart -
Lockerz

Post by Lockerz »

Perfect thanks a lot Stuart

Just ordered the 8 :)!

Thanks!