Mic Input Snake Terminal Strips

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

Howardk

Mic Input Snake Terminal Strips

Post by Howardk »

Hi

I am looking for a solder-less terminal strips. I did some searching on the forum and I didn't come up with anything.

The purpose is to terminate:
a) Studio in-wall Microphone cables to
b) Control room cables running to microphone patch bay.

This is within a junction box that is surface mounted on the wall. I have used Euro style screw down terminal strips in the past but it is tight work in this location and I would like it to be easier to assemble so I would like to terminate to a matting type of connector terminal strip.

Everything in my world is based on 8 pair so it would be best if the terminal strips are 12 or 24 position(4 or 8 balanced lines with ground).

The Terminal Strip will screw down onto a panel and will have screw down Euro style terminations on one side. The other side of the connection has a receiver for a push on connector. This other side will have 3 position connector shells that each pair is screw terminated or cimped to and can be easily be connected/disconnected onto the 12 position block (4 per) or 24 position (8 per). They will be fairly small spacing to get decent connector density in the Junction box but big enough for those of use without the nimblest of fingers.

I am located in Winnipeg Canada and there is no local stock to look at. While I see a lot of different products on Digikey as well as other websites, it is not clear to me which is the most effective and prevalent product for this purpose and thought someone may have insight. Looking for something I can standardize on now and in the future so it should be easy to work with, be cost effective, stock generally available, and of course provide a good connection for this purpose.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks. . . Howard
Howardk

Re: Mic Input Snake Terminal Strips

Post by Howardk »

Here is what looks like a nice solution that will work on DIN Rail, but too pricey.
http://catalog.weidmueller.com/procat/Product.jsp;jsessionid=EED7A2FEFE49D4E6A5ED4340DBFD5E02?productId=%28[1034400000]%29&page=Product]1034400000
http://catalog.weidmueller.com/procat/Product.jsp;jsessionid=EED7A2FEFE49D4E6A5ED4340DBFD5E02?productId=%28[1980490000]%29&page=Product]1980490000
(Sorry the links don't work, just cut and paste. . . the square bracket messes up the parsing)
I don't need anything his heavy duty. There must be a lower cost solution.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Hi Howard, and welcome! :)

Actually, I'm not sure why you would want to do that. Maybe you could explain? Trying to connect mic cables with terminal strips is not a good idea, as it messes up the impedance continuity of the cables, removes the shielding (thus exposing the conductors to hum and crosstalk), and introduces the possibility of flaky connections in the future (dirt, high resistance, intermittence, etc.). The normal way of connecting and distributing signals in professional studios (and home studios too) is with patch panels ("patch bays" in some countries). Larger studios sometimes even use routing switchers, especially in video broadcast, production and post production facilities. To be honest, I would never connect mic cables like that. I might risk it with unbalanced line level signals, but not with balanced mic signals. Mic cables should run direct and clean from the stage box or connector panel direct to the patch bay.

- Stuart -
Howardk

Post by Howardk »

I also have 384 points of TT patchbay for patching on-the-fly as required. The terminal strips are for connecting the building inter-room in-wall already installed microphone snakes to my in-studio cabling that goes to the patchbay, which is just the way it needs to be in this particular situation. I will be using Euro style terminal strips if I can not find an easier to assemble solution within a reasonable cost. Just looking for products that are available/suitable for this kind of connecting which is suitable for this purpose.

While I appreciate your point and to strive for perfection, since it is not video coax, word clock or network cabling with high frequency signals, but rather signal in the audio frequency range, I am not concerned with the slight effect on impedance. An inch of shielding missing on a twisted pair is not something that concerns me, especially with a structured connector system which ensures consistent spacing at the connection point and there will not be any strong EM fields in the vicinity. I have never heard of of problem making interconnects between facility audio cabling when done using Euro-style termination strips tightened properly. I have seen it dozens of times, including my own facilities. The issue is that the assembly work is in a tight area and I wish to stream line the connections by using a terminal strip with a push on connector for 1/2 of the connection. Also this studio is semi-temporary setup and the studio, including the junction box, will be moving in the next couple years, so I would like to be able to connect and reconnect without dealing with each conductor on a one-by-one basis, so I can take it with me with ease and re-deploy with ease as well.
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

You could probably use something like a Molex connector. They use crimp or solder pins, and can be packed in these densities you need.

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/product ... 9-ND/61236

And they're typically inexpensive.