wall construction

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Sandy Jones

wall construction

Post by Sandy Jones »

I am new to this so here goes

I am constructing a new facility it will consist of 2 rehearsal rooms, 1 recording studio and control room, class room and DAW Suite. They are all located on the same level. My question on the attachment is a sketch of my proposed wall construction will this work as soundproofing / isolating each room.

cheers
rod gervais

Re: wall construction

Post by rod gervais »

Sandy Jones wrote:I am new to this so here goes

I am constructing a new facility it will consist of 2 rehearsal rooms, 1 recording studio and control room, class room and DAW Suite. They are all located on the same level. My question on the attachment is a sketch of my proposed wall construction will this work as soundproofing / isolating each room.
Sandy,

1st - welcome..........

Now..... you do not have an attachment I can see - could you please repost the link?

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........
Sandy Jones

wall constuction

Post by Sandy Jones »

Trying again to attach. The old attachment was to large
Will try this

Cheers
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

Sandy,

Where in the world did you come up with this?

This is not a good sound isolation wall assembly.

For one thing it is a 4 leaf wall the way you have it detailed (brick is one leaf - then a layer of drywall - another layer of drywall - an air space - and another layer of drywall. 2 leaf systems tend to be the most effective use of money spent.

If this is something you've invented - I'll give you a "B+" for effort...... but there are much better - much more cost effective methods of acheiving sound isolation.

Please let us know what type of music and sound levels you'll be dealing with - it will make it easier for us to guide you.

Sincerely,

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........
Sandy Jones

wall constuction

Post by Sandy Jones »

Hi,

My construction concept was based on a project that I was involved with several years ago that was headed up by a well respected studio designer, he had used a similar layered system for isolation within a postpro facility. More details. The rehearsal rooms (3.8w x 6.3d x 3h mtrs) will be side by side they will be equipt with the usual, drums, guitar and bass amplification and a 700W per side pa. These are my main concern. The brick layer that is on the drawing ( for which I apologise for the lack of detail) is the exsiting internal wall which is part of the cavity double brick wall that is the shell of the building. I was working on some kind of floating room within room having a double stud wall filled will different layers of rock wool and slab wool with the carpet felt and cavity layers finished of with the lo-profile high density foam covered by material covered frames. The slab wool directly onto the existing wall was meant to help with impact and sound transferance to the outside. I do hope I 'm making some sense.

Thanks for the reply

Sandy