Turning a Cold room into a rehearsal space/studio???

Find out where to get building materials in your local area. If you find a good outlet post it and others will be able to access it through the search engine.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

BlackOnBlack79Strat

Turning a Cold room into a rehearsal space/studio???

Post by BlackOnBlack79Strat »

Ola.
Been looking through these amazing pages for a few days now and have a question I was hoping someone could answer. I have recently picked up some cold room paneling and have decided to turn them into a rehearsal space/studio in my back yard. At this stage sound proofing is my major concern as I live in a very quiet neighborhood with houses on every side and would like to have the freedom to play when the need hits (2am). I mostly play acoustic slide/blues. Would like to plug in my JCM800 100w when I can and possibly bring in a drummer every now and then.
I will try to give you as much info as I can:

room dimensions are: 2.5m x3.5m
height: 2.5m
panel thickness: 100mm (aluminum walls with 100mm foam center)
Floor: concrete slab 200mm

My question is this: Seeming the foam walls do an ok job of soundproofing(when Im outside I can still hear someone screaming inside) will I get a good result by covering the internal walls with Higgins 85mm bats?
Remember my major goal is to not disturb the neighbors.

My info is very basic if you need to know more please ask and I will do my best to answer. If anyone could help me with this question I would be very appreciative as if I don't start playing again soon I just may find myself on the nightly news!
John Sayers
Site Admin

Re: Turning a Cold room into a rehearsal space/studio???

Post by John Sayers »

unfortunately cold room walls are great at stopping heat but sound goes straight through them. The only thing that stops sound is Mass.
partitions2.gif
John Sayers Productions

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.