Conduit runs in slab

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

seaweed

Conduit runs in slab

Post by seaweed »

Hi. I am prepping the slab for my new build and came up with these conduit runs for the audio and AC.
(See below)
The green are audio runs. The only AC(power) one is to get to a floor AC panel which will reside under the Mix board.
I just want 8 plugs under there for easy access.
The main power to the BB(breaker box) will come in from above and the (All surface mounted) outlets and lighting will enter at as few points as possible from the walls.

My questions are:
Is it the best approach to have the conduit (1 1/4" ID PVC) surface from the slab with 90 dgr corners just right flush to the wall points, then run lines up to the breakout box? (just checking cause i have not seen it done before so please confirm even if that is a stupid simple question ;))

Also, i have read on this forum some talk of break points in the pipe and using a rubber or some other connector to stop sound translation from room to room. If this is required is it an issue on these long runs through cement?

I should note the conduit will actually be IN the cement, not under it in the dirt.
Order of slab from bottom to top(4.5" thick) = Styro-conduit-rebar-IF heating.

And finally, i have read that it is best to keep the power and audio runs separate, power from above etc. That is why i have chosen to run the power in the walls and audio in the floor. Given that, if it is acceptable, what is the method used to get the power through the wall at the entrance points without messing up the isolation of the wall?

Thanks for any input.
seaweed

Re: Conduit runs in slab

Post by seaweed »

no comments at all?
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

if the slab is all one unit, then running the ducts should be easy and straightforward. if you had decoupled the slabs you'd want to decouple the conduit as well. you will just want to seal them up thoroughly once you snake in the wires.
Glenn
seaweed

Post by seaweed »

gullfo wrote:if the slab is all one unit, then running the ducts should be easy and straightforward. if you had decoupled the slabs you'd want to decouple the conduit as well. you will just want to seal them up thoroughly once you snake in the wires.
I'm doing it as all one slab, thanks Glenn, much appreciated.
Speedskater

Post by Speedskater »

And finally, i have read that it is best to keep the power and audio runs separate, power from above etc. That is why i have chosen to run the power in the walls and audio in the floor.

It's good to keep power runs and audio runs separated by a foot or more.

It's good to keep power lines as short as practicable. That is outlet to breaker box to other outlets.
Kevin
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

Yes, keep your power and audio separate. If they must cross, do so at 90 degrees of each other. Since you're installing outlets in your floor, be sure to install the correct floor boxes for outlets (just a heads up). Since it's one slab, no need to try and break/isolate the conduit in the concrete. You may consider isolating at the walls though, if you're isolating them. Make sure you size your conduit correctly for those 8 circuits, as you'll have several ground wires (I'm guessing 5...one for each duplex, one for the box per codes) if you're using IG recepticles.