Killatone variation: The Murdertone

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

fallenmunk

Killatone variation: The Murdertone

Post by fallenmunk »

I finally got my monitors done! I built the cabinets in January from birch ply and decided to try something different for the drivers. I ordered the CHR-70's and got a phone call that they had sold out right before my web order went through. I decided to wait for the Gen 3 version to come out. My Madisound order just got delivered this week.

I've had a chance to listen to them at limited volumes since they need to break in before I can turn them up, but so far I like what I ended up with. I didn't put any filtering electronics in them because I got some advice from the DIYaudio forum to break them in first and decide if they need any filtering after that.

I know that these are not true Killatones with different drivers and no filtering but I used the same box dimensions at least.

They sound much better than anything I've used so far and helped me clean up a mix that I thought was good already, but now it sounds so much better.

Thank you Thomas for sharing the original Killatone design.
gullfo

Re: Killatone variation: The Murdertone

Post by gullfo »

nice work!
Glenn
fallenmunk

Re: Killatone variation: The Murdertone

Post by fallenmunk »

Thanks Glenn. For anyone who is wondering what the fabric looking stuff is....It is carbon fiber/kevlar hybrid cloth using aeropoxy laminating resin and vacuum bagged. I've always liked the retro look that this cloth gives, kinda like those old cloth speaker grills. They turned out ok. I might make another pair just for fun and use a matte breather fabric so that the finish is not so shiny. An all carbon fiber pair might look really nice too.

Emblems are aluminum with computer cut vinyl logos. I wanted to do the emblems smaller but there is a limit how small you can go before the plotter starts chewing up the vinyl and the small decals get impossible to weed.

The next set of these I make will all be CNC cut. The logo will be engraved and backfilled. My DIY CNC machine should be finished up in the next few months.