Audio Over Ethernet?

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

suntower

Audio Over Ethernet?

Post by suntower »

Hi,

I worked in 'real' studios 20 years ago. Home studio now. I have -read- about high end facilities where -audio- is somehow linked and routed via Gigabit.

Well, I routinely use a program Vienna Ensemble Pro---which basically routes VSTi plug-ins over gigabit between multiple computers and it works -amazingly- well. Many composers I know use it. But that's strictly virtual instruments.

So... being that it's 2011, I was wondering if there was a low-cost way I could have one computer in one room of my house, with an audio interface and another computer in another room (75' feet away)... linked by gigabit... and the recording be routed to the DAW on the 'master' computer? (As in Vienna Ensemble).

My A/D converters have lightpipe, but my understanding is that this is only good for 15 feet max. If not for that, I'd do it that way.

Ideas? Sorry, if this is a really common thing I just haven't kept up with.

Cheers,

---JC
gullfo

Re: Audio Over Ethernet?

Post by gullfo »

i think the Lightpipe fiber can be up to 33' and extended to much more than 33' using optical in-line amplifiers. (i use 30' optical cables on my ADATs to my PC) if not, gigabit (2 NIC needed on each end) connections should also give good performance but may require some additional configuration to make it work...
Glenn
suntower

Post by suntower »

Wow. I'm thinking about re-wiring my house with snakes in each room.

But now I'm wondering that if I could just run TOSLINK connectors to each room. Then, when I want to record in a give room I could just move an A/D-D/A converter box between rooms.

Is that just too Star Trek or does it seem practicable? I mean... I know -anything- is possible. But I don't have a Hans Zimmer budget... just a few hundred.

---JC

gullfo wrote:i think the Lightpipe fiber can be up to 33' and extended to much more than 33' using optical in-line amplifiers. (i use 30' optical cables on my ADATs to my PC) if not, gigabit (2 NIC needed on each end) connections should also give good performance but may require some additional configuration to make it work...
Rockum

Post by Rockum »

I'm thinking of doing this as well. One of the drawbacks I will have to deal with is that the performer will be responsible for setting their own trim on the converter. Not a huge deal if you are not commercial...
suntower

Post by suntower »

Where does one get 30' optical cables? ?

---JC

gullfo wrote:i think the Lightpipe fiber can be up to 33' and extended to much more than 33' using optical in-line amplifiers. (i use 30' optical cables on my ADATs to my PC) if not, gigabit (2 NIC needed on each end) connections should also give good performance but may require some additional configuration to make it work...
Rockum

Post by Rockum »

I've used 100' optical with no noticeable issues. Best prices for toslink optical cables I know of:

35' for $5

http://www.monoprice.com/products/searc ... rd=toslink
suntower

Post by suntower »

I can't thank you enough. I've used Monoprice before but for some reason I always forget to check them out for xtuff like this.

Anyhoo, I bought their heavy duty 100' cable for $30 and to my utter amazement, it runs flawlessly in my initial tests. Normally, I run my two A/D boxes with wordclock for sync but even just using the ADAT for sync it's been no problem. I may be getting old, but this almost seems too good to be true. I recall paying $30 just for a 15' crappy plastic ADAT cable... but this thing not only -works- it appears to be built to be run over by a small car.

Most guys I have seen trying to do what I'm doing are using -very- pricey solutions (MADI) but since I don't really need 96k, this should be fine.

Any possible 'gotchas'? Not to be paranoid, but again, it seems too good to be true...

CHEERS!

---JC

Rockum wrote:I've used 100' optical with no noticeable issues. Best prices for toslink optical cables I know of:

35' for $5

http://www.monoprice.com/products/searc ... rd=toslink
Rockum

Post by Rockum »

Not that I know of, happy it is working for you!