The old boys

Get your "what mic?" frustration or "have you heard" out here. The language could get real okka in here mate.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Phil Harmonic

The old boys

Post by Phil Harmonic »

Hi John,

You may remember me as a student of yours in the CSU period, 89-90. You may not either. The latter Id say, I wasnt what one might call the greatest of student. I did nothing remarkable. You told me once you thought I had a bit of talent but hung around and was negatively influenced by the wrong people, one in particular. You were right on both accounts. The folly of youth. I had a nice curry at your house one night with a bunch of other students. You were quite a good cook I recall.

I had a good laugh at the CSU write up in you bio. I noticed those Wagga sunsets too.

I still dabble in the home recording front, and run Cubase on a very minimal foundation. Im thinking of getting the sound of the room together a bit more and stumbled onto your site. So I'll be sifting through the information to gather good information as Ive noticed doing things without direction is a bit like this one :horse:

Glad to see you're still at it and making some lovely looking studios. Hope they sound as good. Sure they do, you seemed to know what you were talking about back in the day. I always remember you talking about the non-parallel walls of the CSU studio, and I recall the sound of those big Tannoys quite well. Cheers.

Philip Hyndman.
John Sayers
Site Admin

Re: The old boys

Post by John Sayers »

Hi Phil - welcome to the forum. Yup - I remember you :)

Please add your location to your profile as it's important for the mods to know where you are based.

cheers
john
John Sayers Productions

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.
tez

Re: The old boys

Post by tez »

CSU. That place produced some really good TV ops, Audio, Video etc, and in my experience, CH7 Melbourne, they've progressed well. I left 7 many years ago, but still freelance there, and those guys are Senior Ops, virtually all Freelance now. Back in my day, Jeremy E went up to lecture at CSU. Not as famous as his Big Brother, but just as talented. Noted last year they were refitting OB Van etc.

Whilst reminiscing, LRB overtones intended, I see JS did Engineer a few Max Merret tracks in his time. My cousin, Wal B, managed him, and quite a few others, for many years.

Most of my mixes were transient, live show, little rehearsed tracks. The only one I was ever really happy enough with was my premiere mix of 4 tracks with The Dingoes. It was all downhill after that.

To finish, one of the best Live Gigs I was lucky enough to get to was in Melbourne's Dallas Brookes Hall to see the Benson and Hedge's sponsored, Daly Wilson Big Band. And I do still have the Vinyl.

Aah, back to work.

cya wombats

T