Quiet Solution

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Papawhitehead

Quiet Solution

Post by Papawhitehead »

Has anyone ever heard of Quietsolution.com? They claim to have sheetrock that provides 55 STC and higher. Please let me know what you've heard. Thanks -B

www.quietsolution.com
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Unless you're loaded and impatient, you can get the same results using multi-layer sheet rock for about 1/10 the cost - not that the stuff isn't good, it's just really expensive and NOT magical in any way... Steve
Papawhitehead

Post by Papawhitehead »

Thanks for the info. Magical? In what way? -B
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

In the "NOT" way... :wink: Steve
Papawhitehead

Post by Papawhitehead »

I'm sorry, I don't understand how layers of drywall and RC or double walls ect... can be magical. What do you mean by this? I swear I'm not trying to be a smartass. thanks -B
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

What I meant was that the quiet solutions stuff isn't any more magical than just plain layers of properly constructed mass, which is ALSO not magical - it's just physics in either case.

The only magic is the way your wallet will "magically" EMPTY with the purchase of just a few of those special quiet panels - If I remember correctly, the stuff runs over $100 per sheet - 3 sheets of sheet rock would cost around $18, maybe another $2 for mud - and all for about the same amount of isolation.

If you were having your rooms built by contractors, it's possible that you might end up paying about the same with either multiple layers of sheet rock OR the quiet panels - it takes more time to install 3 layers of sheet rock, so at least part of that extra labor cost would be saved by using the quiet panels. If you're doing it all yourself and on a tight budget, it's a no-brainer - just use 2-3 layers of sheet rock wherever you would have used the quiet panels, and save about 85% of your material costs... Steve
lowdbrent

Post by lowdbrent »

Actually, if you go to their site it is explained well.

QuietRock is a multi-layer engineered drywall panel composed of gypsum, viscoelastic polymers and proprietary sound isolation layers.

The upside to using this is that most contractors don't get studio construction. Most "short" the walls and floors together, or build it in such a way that the RC starts to sag in a few years. This stuff eliniates the need for RC in some cases. It is also ant-fungal, mold resistant, etc. So, this is a plus in basements, etc.

The thing to consider is it's cost. But, if you instal this, you may pay more on the front side, but you may get your studio opened faster, or eliminate liability by novices installing RC.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Yeah, kinda what I said only in a nicer way, thanks Brent - I agree if money were no object and time was, I'd take a much closer look. But at 16 to 32 TIMES the cost of sheet rock, even a triple layer sheet rock wall (which outperforms the quiet stuff) would cost about 1/5 as much. Some would say "big deal", others think 5X the cost is a deal breaker.

Personally, if I had to deal with the sorry excuses for construction labor I'm used to seeing, I'd probably spring for the good stuff myself - doing it myself, I know there won't be any screws in the wrong place and the RC will do its job... Steve
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

Well guys,

Not me.

There is no way I would pay the cost of that system.

1st off - the reasoning that installation of existing systems - if done improperly - give you less than what you pay for - is absolutely true.

But then again - if this stuff is not installed exactly perfect - you won't get their rated benefit either.

2nd - I am a bear when it comes to oversight on my specialty projects... I inspect every layer prior to the next layer being installed - and I have no problems what so ever making someone rip off drywall to make them get it right.

I explain this to them in the negotiations - I put clauses to this effect in their contracts - and I enforce this when need be. So for me - poor labor is no excuse.

Spending the kind of additional material cost here for this product over standard mass products is (IMHO) insane - and I would not reccomend this to any of my clients.

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Hey Rod, I wondered how long it would take you to chime in, and no surprise to me (this time) in your answer - that stuff is so freakin' expensive I didn't even have the balls to do a takeoff on room costs, figured the oxygen mask would automatically drop down when I did.

Really enjoyed our talk last Sunday, BTW - next time it's on MY nickel...

My explanation of why you're even MORE adamant on this subject than I am - I'm still an AMATEUR asshole, while YOU are a PROFESSIONAL :wink:

(OK, folks, start the countdown, how long will it take Rod to "get me back" on that one? :lol: - Steve
lowdbrent

Post by lowdbrent »

Did you say he was a professional, or professional asshole? LOL
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Glad SOMEbody's awake :wink: