Framing question?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Origin Productions

Framing question?

Post by Origin Productions »

I have finished the framing and would like to double check a few things before I begin drywalling. I'll give you a quick recap of what I've done.

The biggest weekness of this studio construction is that I have not used floating floors or ceilings anywhere. I am aware that I will have to live with a lot of low freq. penetration from live room to control room.

I have used the leaf spring leaf method described on this forum for my main seperating wall between live room and control room. I have used 25 gauge steal studs. And the air space seperating the 2 leafs is just over 8". (I posted a question about drywalling just before this post, in case you haven't yet read about my drywalling plans).

It's a commercial building. The floor is concrete. The ceiling is corrugated steel. Above the steel ceiling is more concrete. From floor to ceiling is 10' 8". The framing has been attacted at the floor and ceiling.

The finished ceilings I am planning on installing are standard commercial acoustic tiles, which will be installed in standard metal framwork and hung from the ceiling with metal hangers (similiar to close hangers) to an as yet undetermined height. So it's sort of a quasi floating ceiling I guess.

I am concerned about the metal support beams that are attached to the ceiling (and run perpendicular through my double wall construction). Does it matter if the stud tracking (runners) that we've attached to the steel ceiling make contact with these steel support beams that run perpendicular to the runners? In other words the steel support beams are flanking the live room and control room walls together. I realize that this flanking already exists at my non-floating floor and ceiling, but would it be worth it to eliminate the flanking accross these steel beams by trimming the tracking away from the beams? Or am I just splitting hairs?

What are the most important details that would ensure the greatest amount of isolation between rooms in this non-floating floor/ceiling scenario?

As usual any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
James
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

James, I sort of get what you're describing, but it would help a lot if you could post either a picture or a drawing or two - I'm hoping you're not too far along before asking questions... Steve
Origin Productions

Post by Origin Productions »

Thanks Nightfly. Sorry I don't have any pics, but not to worry, I managed
to trim the steel runners away from the support beams.

James