New condo, could use some help

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

backinthelab

New condo, could use some help

Post by backinthelab »

Hey all, I've been reading this forum for a while now and am a huge fan. You're help has been invaluable to many poeple. That's why I'm posting my concerns!

I've just purchased a condo and I'm debating how I should go about building. My main concern is the wall I share with my neighbor (marked in red, although it follows the entire length of the basement). I need to be certain that this is soundproof to the fullest extent possible. Also, the ceiling will need some treatment as it is unfinished. What would be the best, most cost-effective way of treating these problems?

I've been looking at all types of treatments, including different foams and brand-name accoustical sheetrock.

Please see the attachment and let me know what you think! I could also use some help on the overall layout, I'm trying to keep my basement for both entertaining and studio work, that's why I'm not using all of the space available.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!
"Hey, I came here to be drugged, electrocuted, and probed - not insulted" - H. Simpson
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

There are many different answers to your questions - only one or two would be right, and until we know more about your existing construction I can't guess which way would work for you.

If you can post more specific info on your existing construction, we can help figure out what you'll need to do - Things like outer wall construction (solid concrete, blocks, filled blocks, studs with sheet rock, ??? Ceiling height, etc - When you say unfinished ceiling, do you mean unpainted/textured sheet rock, bare joists, or?? Specifically, if you can see joists, how deep(tall) are they, how far apart, what material can you see between them, how loud are footfalls above you, what area of your space is directly above where the studio will go, what part of your neighbor's space is next to the red wall (if you know) -

If you can, answer all the above and anything else you think may be pertinent - this is NOT the time to be terse in order to save space, the more information we have the closer we can come to a workable solution for you... Steve
backinthelab

Post by backinthelab »

I guess I was a little vague now that I re-read my post!

The basement has 8' ceilings with the joists exposed. I could not tell you the spacing between them and their depth until I get in there and do some measuring. There is nothing between the joists (besides plumbing and conduit) as far as insulation or the like.

The walls are block, not filled, but doubled on the neighbors wall and "sound insulated" per the builders description. I don't know what that really means but I'm sure it's not much compared to what is needed for a studio. The wall that is shared is also my neighbor's basement. The space directly above the control room is my laundry room a powder room, and a small (10 x 10) office. The space directly above the live room is my kitchen.

Also, the floor is concrete.
"Hey, I came here to be drugged, electrocuted, and probed - not insulted" - H. Simpson
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Probably the single best move you could make first is to buy a Radio Shack Sound Level Meter, the Analog one is cheaper and works better (IMO), it's around $40-45. Then, I'd get to know your neighbor well enough to explain that you are trying NOT to disturb them - do a test: get the neighbor on the phone, have him listen from the other side of the wall AND in their bedroom while you crank up the loudest thing you have, and turn it down til the neighbor isn't hearing it - measure the sound pressure level in YOUR room with the meter set on C weighting, fast response - that's how loud you can have it without problems. Then, crank it til you're happy and recheck the SPL - subtract the first, LOWER reading from the NEW reading and add at least 5 dB to that, and that's the MINIMUM improvement you'll need to keep the peace.

Also, you missed a couple of questions in your answer, and I forgot to ask some - what type instruments will you record, and what is your budget range?

Any other comments will only help clarify what's needed, so feel free... Steve
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

One thought here........

When you buy a condo (please check your condo docs........ this is true in every state I have ever worked in - but i haven't worked in them all) you do not purchse the party wall.

You buy the inside face of drywall to the inside face of drywall, inside face of glazing, inside face of door - etc.

You buy from the top of the concrete slab in the basement to the underside of either the roof or the upper level ceiling (depending on the type of construction.

The party walls themselves - from face of drywall to opposite face of drywall - are owned by the condo association and come under the cover of "public space".

Modifying them in any way is expressly forbidden.

This forces you into constructing a room within a room without the benifit of modifying the party wall at all - even the addition of drywall mass to that wall will put you in violation of your condo bylaws without written permission from the association.

If you do violate your bylaws you put yourself at great financial risk.

Food for thought.

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Geez, Rod, never woulda thunk of that - since I never want to live that close to anyone who isn't family (and few family, for that matter) ... thanks for the tip, I'm sure our new condo "owner" will appreciate the warning as well... Steve