Meow Mix - Commercial Space Conversion in W MA

Discuss the studios designed by John Sayers productions

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Ro:

It's been a long strange trip... but the end is in sight and the rooms sound great. Still working out a few bugs and getting acquainted with MIDI and Cubase 4.

One of the things I really like about the studio is the color scheme. Simple, calm and easy on the eyes. Not bad for a guy who is red/green color blind!

I want the studio to be a place where musicians of all talents can create their art without a clock in sight. Now that things are almost finished, I am concentrating on marketing. There is a large community of musicians of all types and genre, so I plan to target that market, as well as the Multimedia creation folks in the area. Of course, folks from outside MA are certainly welcome to come for a visit or to work on a project.

Hours by appointment 24/7. Block rates and lockout available. Rehearsal space is only $30/hour... sans control room.

Hope things are well on your end of the globe.

Jon
Meow Mix
116 Pleasant St STE 011
Easthampton, MA 01027
413-348-0591
meowmix48@gmail.com
jwl

Re: Meow Mix - Commercial Space Conversion in W MA

Post by jwl »

Congrats, Jon! Looks fantastic!

Here's to a long and successful career running this place.... :thu:
http://www.craftedrecordings.com
Quality audiogeekery in Northern New England
jlemon

Post by jlemon »

Hello Jon, I'm not going to wish you a Happy New Year, because I'm sure that you are going to have a great year ahead of you with that masterpiece of a studio completed for action! Great design, great construction, great thread! :thu:

Now, if you don't mind, I have some questions for you or for JohnS (since he designed it, best wishes John):

1. What's the angle of the front wall speakers?
2. What's their distance from the listening position?
3. What's the height of the CR's window glass?
4. From what height does the CR's window start?
5. How many square feet is the CR (without considering acoustic treatment)?

I'm very interested (as you figured out by the flood of questions :roll: ) in your CR, because your design is a great solution for my project http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 0&start=45. Due to that damn pier in the middle :evil: , the only way to maximise viewing angle is to have a CR just like yours. I've designed it on sketchup but the speaker's angle gets too big :shock: . Since we have identical layouts and coverage of space, I thought I would ask for directions... :wink:

I know you and JohnS are pretty busy but I would really appreciate some feedback. I'm loosing my mind here... :?

Best Wishes,

John
moclov555

Re:

Post by moclov555 »

If anyone is available to come to Easthampton for a day to help me with crimping/soldering connectors for the snakes, that would be a tremendous help, since I am not able to get around very well and only with crutches/chair until the end of January

just read through the whole thing and if you still need the help i would love to stop by and help with cables (i make custom snakes for a living)

probably too late now but if you need me im in concord!
Wyatt Burns
A2D Audio
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Hi everyone:

Just checking my mail and forums which I haven't been able to check for awhile.

The studio is complete, customers recording and happy with the space and the results. It's nice to finally have the place online.

I have a group that comes in every other week or so for a jam session... pretty freeform stuff. I've had a trio working on a 6 song EP CD and some VO work.

Seems like the economy is hitting the recording world! Working on guerrila marketing stuff and getting a page up on MySpace and MIX Online.

Hope everyone has a prosperous 2009!

Namaste,

Jon
Meow Mix
116 Pleasant St STE 011
Easthampton, MA 01027
413-348-0591
meowmix48@gmail.com
StayNuts

Post by StayNuts »

Good to read that your studio is running and you have customers... :yahoo:
Can you post some pictures of your entire studio, quit curious how the end result looks.... :yahoo:
Building a new studio of 100 m2 with 3 studios
my wife don't mind, one of the studios wil be her private working studio...
control room will be my domain :yahoo:
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

StayNuts

Post by StayNuts »

Thx John,
love the colors & looks.... :shot:
Building a new studio of 100 m2 with 3 studios
my wife don't mind, one of the studios wil be her private working studio...
control room will be my domain :yahoo:
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Greetings to all from Meow Mix... It's been too long since I visited the board, so if you have specific questions, probably better to send me an e-mail at meowmix48@gmail.com for a sprinty reply. The economy still sucks and people keep coming through the door wanting to book time at $25/hour... Sorry, no joy... It's $55/hour with block rates and lockouts available. 2 hour deposit to book a session.

I am also renting full HD Video Production and field audio production (up to 8 tracks) including a Matthews Roundy Round Dolly and a Kessler Camera Crane witha 20lb. hot head - motor pan/tilt. One Ton Grip Kit and Lighting by Lowell and Kino-flo.

To all the other current builders, remember that a buildout is not a race, and that Murphy's law will visit some place along the way... so John S and I and others are available to solve issues that pop up along the way. Best of luck and Namaste,

Jon Frost
Owner/Engineer
Meow Mix
116 Pleasant St STE 011
Easthampton, MA 01027
413-348-0591
meowmix48@gmail.com
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Hey everyone... It's September 21st 2010 already. A few updates...

8 channels of Neve 1073 Mic Pres (2 Vintech 473 units)
JBL 4328 Nearfield Monitors
Peluso 2247SE Tube Mic (Neumann U47 clone)
Peluso P12 Tube Mic (AKG C12 clone)
Royer 121 Ribbon Mic
Neumann KM184 Stereo Matched Pair Condenser Mics

Migrating from Cubase 5.51 to Nuendo 5 and loving every moment! Nuendo is built from the ground up for film/video post as well as the full functionality of studio/live recording ala Cubase.

Rates are currently $30/hour with block rates and lockouts available. Call for information, bookings and questions.

Namaste,

Jon Frost - Owner/Engineer
Meow Mix
413-348-0591
Meow Mix
116 Pleasant St STE 011
Easthampton, MA 01027
413-348-0591
meowmix48@gmail.com
triplej333

Post by triplej333 »

Wow, extremely impressive build! You can certainly bet that it's one of a kind!

I didn't see or read anything about duct silencers, and I noticed that your branch ducts were large (12" or so?). I'm assuming that you installed lined plenums? Was that, along with high volume / low velocity design, enough to quiet everything?

My HVAC designer's plan calls for 16 supply branches (most 8") and 9 returns for just under 1000 SF of space. I think building 25 silencers (big ones, at that) would be absolutely insane. I've begun the process of attempting to re-design it myself.

I'm just wondering if you can provide any details of your ducting system.

***Edit - Never mind the above, got it figured out

Great work, I hope you're enjoying it to the fullest!!!