One room studio

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

Celereon

One room studio

Post by Celereon »

Hello everyone. Just a couple of (hopefully) quick questions:

I'm doing a one room studio, so I'm probably not going to be running conduit. Electrical cable will be run through the walls until they get to the outlets, which will be surface mounted. Everything in this room will be Star Grounded.

1) Is it better to run audio gear off individual power points, or all hooked up through a power board into the one power point? I'm guessing if it's properly grounded it shouldn't matter, assuming the circuit can handle the load?

2) If I'm running audio cables from one end of the room to the other (multicore, conduit or *gasp* bare and messy mic leads), how can I best avoid interference from the electrical cable? I've read parallel = bad, but also that running them all bundled together is good, so I don't know which to believe.

I have read up a lot on these things, but I haven't found much on these topics, especially not for home one-room studios. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, if so, I'm sorry. Also, sorry for the beginner questions, but I suppose everyone has to start somewhere!

Appreciate any and all help/advice. Thanks :)
gullfo

Re: One room studio

Post by gullfo »

if you use a balanced audio snake that should suffice and be flexible in positioning. avoid electronic dimmer circuits. if you have a sub panel for your power and star grounding you could be able to connect your equipment around the room OK but for your console its usually best to tap power off a single or pair of circuits on that panel as well as power conditioning and/or UPS to minimize spikes or low voltage conditions. as a general rule, if you don't have significant power transients, then having balanced audio lines next to the AC power is typically not an issue an the magnetic cross talk is stable. high impedance or lots of transients will cause interference. running your network or other non-power cables - its best to keep separate and only cross when needed.
Glenn