Auralex the only manufacturer of RC?

Find out where to get building materials in your local area. If you find a good outlet post it and others will be able to access it through the search engine.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

EC_Beast29

Auralex the only manufacturer of RC?

Post by EC_Beast29 »

Perhaps I'm just missing it - but is there anyone who makes Resilient channel besides Auralex? I can't imagine $180 for 24 8' pieces is the cheapest I can get it for.

I have no problem ordering it in, and having it shipped to me, or even going to nearby specialty construction places, but I can only seem to find Auralex for this :( Is there another name or manufacturer you can recommend I search for? Thanks!
mraaron

Post by mraaron »

check out rew materials they sell it
billshoup

Post by billshoup »

The stuff I'm using, and what I see recommended most, assuming you're interested in single-legged, is Dietrich RC-Deluxe. I'm paying $2.50 per 12 ft piece from a local drywall supplier.

Hope that helps!
EC_Beast29

Post by EC_Beast29 »

Ahh, why thank you very much. :D I knew there was no way on earth I was going to pay the insane price for Auralex.
billshoup

Post by billshoup »

No problem - I went through the same thing when I was trying to find "the right stuff". Another thing I'll mention is that while studying RC, I found that RC-Deluxe, which has a hole pattern like the Auralex stuff (maybe the Auralex stuff is really made by Dietrich) is the only style that's actually been tested for sound attenuation. And both times when I've picked it up at the drywall supplier, I made sure the office knew I wanted RC-Deluxe, but when I went out to the yard to pick it up, the yard guy was going to give me the other style, which has smaller, uniform holes. So it's good to know exactly what you want, so you can make sure you actually get it. Let me know if you are unclear about this at all. I'd be happy to take a picture of the RC-Deluxe so you know what to look for if that would help. I would do it right now, but I'm not at home at the moment. Good luck!
billshoup

Post by billshoup »

Found these pictures on the Dietrich web site (dietrichmetalframing.com). The first attachment shows the RC you want (RC-Deluxe), the second shows what you don't want (RCUR). It appears RC-Deluxe only comes in 25 gauge metal, and the other versions are apparently available in either 20 or 25 gauge versions. It makes sense that you would want the more flexible 25 gauge metal. Hope this helps.
sps_lokesh

Re: Auralex the only manufacturer of RC?

Post by sps_lokesh »

Hi,I am sps lokesh.Auralex's RC-8 Resilient Channel is a specially-formed, sturdy metal device that, when used to hang drywall (instead of just attaching the drywall to the studs or joists), GREATLY improves the sound transmission characteristics of the wall or ceiling system.RC-8 should be installed horizontally at the bottom and top of your wall, then every 2' or less in between. Up to (2) layers of 5/8" drywall and a layer of SheetBlok may be hung on RC-8, even on a ceiling.
==================