soffit mounting ATC scm 50 speakers

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

Steve Honest

soffit mounting ATC scm 50 speakers

Post by Steve Honest »

hello chaps , my name is steve and im mosty at the moment on the studio design forum.
i have popped iin here to ask i want to soffit mount my atc scm 50 s they are active so i understand they will need some air around the back for the amps, but what i want o ask you for help with is the math , jhow do i calculate how wide the bezel should be for my soffitt?
thanks
steve
no animal ever called me nigga.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
Steve Honest

mad bit of comb filtering , i think??

Post by Steve Honest »

hi guys
well we got the ATC s in the wall(s) and they sound great , but at higher voulmes i am hearing what i thin ight be comb filtering, the mid range gets this funney sound like its coming downa cardboard tube at you, we built the sofits stands and mounts just like it says in Johns article, and the baffle is very carefully pushed thru a whole that has a 5 mm max gap, the control rom window between the speakers is about 7 feet 10 wide, i woder if its this glass? should my first step be to move the monitor in and out of the hole s ? perhaps this might remedy this early refelction if this is what the problom is?
apart from that the studio is up and running and works really well
steeve
Steve Honest

atc smear

Post by Steve Honest »

so chaps we got it all fixed, what i had done is left too big an air gap at the bottom of the soffit pods built to john sayers design (ish) well ihad the carpenter redo the mdf bords at the bottom, and crikey what a difference,
not only the smear has gone , but the bottom end seems even more focused and punchy, now i generally spend 95% of my working day listning t low volume, becasue i belive i hear more and my work is better, but i cant resist listing to drum kits loud thru these atc s the kik is right there in the control room with you , its amazing, traking parts at high volume is so much fun,, but i hope this phase im going thru wear off quick , or i fear for my ears.
best
steve

oh and another thing , i lowerd the highet of my desk by 4 inches, worked wonders
steve
AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Post by AVare »

Thanks for the update!

Andre
beau

Re: soffit mounting ATC scm 50 speakers

Post by beau »

hi, what did you end up doing about the ventilation to the back of the speakers for the power amps?

i have a set of scm25a's and am deciding whether or not i will be flush mounting them, or looking into a bigger set of mains.

thanks

beau