Repair hole in Speaker spider

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

lilith_envy

Repair hole in Speaker spider

Post by lilith_envy »

Hi All,
Does any have any experience repairing a small split in the spider of a speaker? 15in low driver
I'm not sure if some body poked it or it's just old.
It is not a well known speaker and will not beable to find a replacement....or I would have to replace both.

rubbery glue or resin?

Thanks
inkspotproductions
www.bantamstudio.info
adam

Re: Repair hole in Speaker spider

Post by adam »

The sound guy in me wants to say gaffer tape, and the studio builder in me wants to say sikaflex.

Sorry I can't offer a serious answer Lil, but I'm subscribing in case somebody can :)
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

you might try some tissue paper (like you might use for gift wrap) and some flexible (but penetrating) glue to blend it into the spider. worst case you may still have to replace the spider entirely.

or maybe start here? http://www.speakerworks.com/speaker_rep ... s_s/65.htm they seem to have a number of products specifically to repair speakers including foam, glue, mesh etc... and these folks offer recone kits etc. http://www.soundspeakerrepair.com/mm5/m ... e_Code=SSR
Glenn
alanna

Post by alanna »

Hi Gulfo,

Thanks a lot for your useful contribution. I am not much aware about fixing of speakers. May be this forum is going to help me a lot in near future. Anyway saving the tip given by you. I have lots of useful data in a personal folder and I keep saving the important points in that only. I will share few tips from my side too.

_____
[SPAM SIGNATURE DELETED BY MODERATOR]
leon.payne

Post by leon.payne »

my dad, in his roadie days used to use some sort of clue on the slit in the cone then spray the back of the cone to stiffen it up. I heard the before and after results on an old bass speak the once, the speaker ended up sounding much better.
lilith_envy

Post by lilith_envy »

Thanks Gulfo and leon,

I now have memories of fixing a few speakers with tissue paper when I used to work in repairs at Yamaha music.
Seems like a life time away now.
I'll give it a crack and if I wreck it i've found speakerbits.com should be able to find a similar size and hardness.

lil
inkspotproductions
www.bantamstudio.info