Modern Speakers for DIY monitors

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

shanesix

Modern Speakers for DIY monitors

Post by shanesix »

I know that nothing sounds as good as the classic speakers to most of the experienced guys, but what do you think about modern speakers for passive monitors,brands like Pioneer,JL Audio, JBL, Eminence and such?
Reason being that where I live ,stuff like Yamaha is hard to find,and I'll have to wait too long until I travel to the USA in 2012.
Most of the stores here sell either PA/DJ type speakers ,or Car Audio type speakers. I don't know if its good or bad, but I have gotten used to listening to car speakers as my reference point for listening.What are your opinions?
gullfo

Re: Modern Speakers for DIY monitors

Post by gullfo »

what kind of JBL speakers are available?
Glenn
shanesix

Post by shanesix »

Mostly car stuff and high powered dj stuff. Can car speakers be used for this type of application?
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

it's more possible the DJ stuff may be useful. a single 15", mid, and horn could work nicely and may even be something that could be soffit mounted. here's an example of a design which uses a PA speaker in the wall.
Glenn
shanesix

Post by shanesix »

Your awesomeness knows no end! I actually have those speakers lying around.Thanks man !!
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

those are the Mackie SR1530Z and if you're using them for mixing would probably want to sit lower (for the studio shown the idea was to put them a bit higher to allow better coverage on the producer couch).
Glenn