Adam A7 soffit mounting?

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Adam A7 soffit mounting?

Post by Soundman2020 »

A question about the best way to mount Adam A7 speakers, which have some strange angle faces at the top.

Which of the following three is the best way to mount them?

Mounting "A": bottom front surface of speaker mounted flush with soffit, leaving top recessed.

Mounting "B": Top front surface of speaker flush with soffit, leaving bottom protruding.

Mounting "C": Carving out the back of the soffit panel to get a perfect fit.

Mounting "D": None of the above!
AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Post by AVare »

Good question, great graphics, and no satisfactory answer. Definitely not A. Why not as Adam directly?

Andre
padded cell

Post by padded cell »

why not A? the tweeter section and the bass are on the same plane, and that would be flush with the soffit in example A.

wow to the graphics!!!!

Iain
AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Post by AVare »

padded cell wrote:why not A?
The indents and sharp corners would act as secondary sources at high frequencies. Hence C is definitely better. BUT, I don't know how much of the tweeter response is affected by working into a solid 2π, B might be better.

Andre
Ro

Post by Ro »

as soffit mounting means "flush with the wall" I'd say go with option 3.
The bevels are made for "better" low-end frq folding. By mounting them flush, you'd cancel that (by "removing" the body of the speakers)
Earshot

Post by Earshot »

If you haven't already see this http://johnlsayers.com/Studio/Pages/Somewhere.htm
Its the larger monitor but same model I believe. Would agree with your option ´c´.

Matt
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Great stuff. That link to the "somewhere" studio is what convinced me. Thanks, Matt.

So, option "C" it is then! That's what I feared... Now I just need to figure out the best way to slice out those angles from the back of the soffit panel...
Skai_Penalva

Re:

Post by Skai_Penalva »

Soundman2020 wrote:Thanks for the replies, everyone! Great stuff. That link to the "somewhere" studio is what convinced me. Thanks, Matt.

So, option "C" it is then! That's what I feared... Now I just need to figure out the best way to slice out those angles from the back of the soffit panel...

I'm doing mine the same way as we speak. Actually, I hired people to do it because I'm not a handy kind o guy haha.

Basically it's a trial and error process where you have to use the speaker to measure how your angles have to be sliced out. They are using a chisel and sand paper to make it as close to the speaker as possible so it can be flush with the wall. Hope that helps!

I'll be posting B&A pics and room test results for you guys later.
Sometimes the greatest risk is playing it safe
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Adam A7 soffit mounting?

Post by Soundman2020 »

Cool! I'd love to see those pics!

Now I have a real off-the-wall question for the experts: Would it make any sense at all to cast the soffit panel in concrete? Say about an inch thick?

I remember reading that you want mass in your soffit panel, and it seems to me that concrete fits that bill! It would also be much easier to get a perfect shape for the speaker cutout inside the back, since I could create a plaster mold first directly from the speaker, to get the exact shape...

Does that make any sense, or would it be silly? Yeah, I know it would be REALLY heavy, but I figure I can build a frame tough enough to hold it. Maybe use steel instead of wood.

I'd be willing to give it a try, but only if the experts think it makes sense.
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Yes - it has been done.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Thanks John! Excellent! Wooohooo!!

Any suggestions on how thick to make the concrete? What kind of mass / density / size should I be aiming for? I guess that reinforcing mesh would not really be necessary, but might still be worthwhile?
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Doing more research here, and I just discovered that the idea of mounting monitors in concrete was first implemented by Tom Hidley back in 1984! If it was good enough for him, then I reckon it's good enough for me.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to build a frame tough enough to support two large concrete slabs angled forwards at 7 degrees, without the whole thing falling over on top of me!

Hmmmm... what on earth am I getting myself into here?

John, does it make any sense to build that frame from steel, and bolt it to the floor? Do I really want to couple my speakers to my floor?

- Stuart -
fxdfxd

Post by fxdfxd »

>Skai_Penalva, any pictures of the A7 soffit mounted ?

Thanks !
-fx
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

John Sayers Productions

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.
fxdfxd

Post by fxdfxd »

Ah, ok, I saw that design before too, didn't know they were the same ;)

Thanks !
-fx