sm57 causing ground loop

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

IanKaravas

sm57 causing ground loop

Post by IanKaravas »

Hey guys, haven't posted here in a while, but I'm having a serious problem

When I first moved into this apartment I had a bunch of ground issues, but about a year ago I fixed everything by running my computer's power supply cable into nice PS Audio power conditioner. It did the trick, now when I crank my monitors all the way up I get nothing but a smooth "hiss". When I plug in my ZoomH4 via its line output to one of the pre's/line ins on my profire610, I get a nice clean input too, no ground loop "hum". (the zoom gets its power from an external supply / batteries )

HOWEVER, when I use my 57/58 I get a serious ground loop running through my whole system, you can only hear it when you really drive the preamps, and unfortunately, that's necessary to record acoustic guitar with a 57. When I move the mic around the room, the amount of hum changes, the instant I unplug the mic, the hum goes away. I've tried XLR ground lifts on the sm57 at the preamp, and at the microphone output jack, neither helped.

Basically this makes my 57 useless. The fluctuating hum drives me insane. sounds like a buzzing bee.

>.<
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: sm57 causing ground loop

Post by Soundman2020 »

Did you check your mic cable????? Sounds like you might have two conductors reversed.

- Stuart -