Soffit my HR624's

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

john

Soffit my HR624's

Post by john »

Has anyone soffit mounted their Mackie 624's and noticed a difference? I don't mean to sound redundant but this is an area where I've really not read about yet. I've been so busy with the rest of the studio, I haven't had the time to think this part through. Anyone think it's not a good idea to mount these?
Thanks,
John
giles117

Post by giles117 »

624 and 824's are similar in design. I soffited my 824's and had great results.

I plan to buy some 624's and a 626 for a surround room I am building starting In January and they will be soffited as well.

Bryan Giles
Jon Best

Post by Jon Best »

How did you take into account the rear passive radiator on the 824's? I don't see those speakers working all that smoothly in a soffit.

Of course, you may have just gotten lucky and had the fact that the passive radiator was obscured help make up for the increased bottom end you'd get in a soffit.... :)
giles117 wrote:624 and 824's are similar in design. I soffited my 824's and had great results.

I plan to buy some 624's and a 626 for a surround room I am building starting In January and they will be soffited as well.

Bryan Giles
Jon Best
giles117

Post by giles117 »

The space compensation switch. ABC I set it to A. I can't say I noticed the passive raditor being a problem for me. All I know is they sound great and my mixes are benefitting. I can;t give you theory, just the practicality of it. It works.

I did all the mental agonizing stuff most people do and then I said screw it and just try it. if it doesn't work, nice experiment. problem was it did work.

My Bottom is 100 times tighter than before.

Now what I did do is stuff the heck out of the soffits with insul to absorb the bottom end so that it did not radiate through the face back into the room. Of Course in the soffit design that is what your are instructed to do so not like I did anything special.

Bryan Giles

I tried it and it worked. Period.
nukmusic

Post by nukmusic »

giles what's your take on the Mackie monitor series?
I have had the 824's and the 624's in my studio. Haven't heard the 626's yet.

my 2 cent:
the 824's have a very nice sound fat bottom and smooth top, mids seem ok. Very full round sound in my room.
the 624's have the same top end, the bottom end is of coarse not the same(smaller) but the mids are better. Wonder if the HR120 sub would add that full round sound like the 824's.

I maybe ruturning the 624's for the 824's. WIsh i had a sub to try out first. 8) I record and mix mostly urban music.
Jon Best

Post by Jon Best »

I had the 824's here for about a year, and while they seem fairly neutral, they just made me tired. I've actually never met a metal dome that doesn't.

I'd go for the sub, btw-with the smaller drivers in the 624's, you're going to get better midrange response, and for urban stuff the flexibility of a sub is going to do you a lot of good.

I've had a Hsu Research here for a while, and I can't think of anything int he price range that I have heard that l like as much.
nukmusic wrote:giles what's your take on the Mackie monitor series?
I have had the 824's and the 624's in my studio. Haven't heard the 626's yet.

my 2 cent:
the 824's have a very nice sound fat bottom and smooth top, mids seem ok. Very full round sound in my room.
the 624's have the same top end, the bottom end is of coarse not the same(smaller) but the mids are better. Wonder if the HR120 sub would add that full round sound like the 824's.

I maybe ruturning the 624's for the 824's. WIsh i had a sub to try out first. 8) I record and mix mostly urban music.
Jon Best
genericperson

Post by genericperson »

Bryan,

I'm so happy I read this post. I speculated on another newsgroup that soffit-mounting hr-824's shouldn't be a problem. and then the know-it-alls were saying i don't know s---. of course *they* never tried it, they were just being cranky and speculating as well in reality.

so now i can go back there and say that at least one person has tried it with excellent results. and real world observations beat theory-battles hands down.

[quote

Bryan Giles

I tried it and it worked. Period.[/quote]
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Late getting back to the party :)

Well now the mids. I wish I could remember what they sounded like before the soffits... It has been so long i have forgotten.I think I remember the low mids around 200-400 being an issue with me and the mackies, but then again i also did not have an acoustically good room so I know that obscured what I heard.

Jon. We will meet soon. Been gearing up for my wife going on tour this spring. Starts in 10 days. But anyway. I agree that metal domes are not the greatest. I'd prefer a soft dome hence my desire to get the K & H 0300d speakers. Or Even a Ribbon But Not sure If I am an Adam Fan.

Seeing as I, for the most part, mix around 72-78dbA it has not been a fatiguing thing with me as of late. When I crank them though I do notice the titanium (i think that is what it is) dome. Sorta like Boston Acoustics Car Audio Speakers)

And Jon U r So right. The KH o300d is a 3 way box with great mids due to the smaller driver. I heard the 624 and marvelled at the improved midrange imaging. When I get to that stage of my 5.1 room that I finally borke ground on, I will doing the 626's and 624's at the very least (hence my desire to check out your speakers) SOON Buddy SOON.
giles117

Post by giles117 »

And hey Generic, I let a few of my Other engineering buddies come through and mix stuff for the heck of it and they love the sound they get from the mackies in the soffits. they were skeptical at 1st but then after finishing the mix they were like yeah I love this room.

Bryan
genericperson

Post by genericperson »

that's great to hear, Giles