First studio monitors - Yamaha HS80M or something else?...

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

Zoli

First studio monitors - Yamaha HS80M or something else?...

Post by Zoli »

Hi!

This is my first post here - I am glad to have this opportunity! :)

I am right before buying a pair of studio monitors.
I will use them with an iMac - I'll work mainly with virtual instruments.
I'll compose music and do mixing. No mastering on my side...

A studio professional suggested me to buy a pair of Dynaudio BM5A,
but my current budget doesn't allow me to go for it. After reading many
reviews and opinions, I was thinking to buy a pair of Yamaha HS80M.

What is your opinion about Yamaha HS80M?
It is a good choice or I should look for something else?

Any opinion is highly appreciated!
Thanks!
John Sayers
Site Admin

Re: First studio monitors - Yamaha HS80M or something else?...

Post by John Sayers »

I have the 50M and I love them - the 80M would be even better IMO
Zoli

Post by Zoli »

John Sayers wrote:I have the 50M and I love them - the 80M would be even better IMO
Thank you, John!

One of my friends, a studio man, told me that, in his opinion, the 80M is mediocre in quality
or even sub-mediocre. I'll have to make a decision based on various opinions: from the "great monitors"
to the "poor ones"...
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Hi, this is my first post. I registered specifically to give you my insight to the HS80M's. In the store, they sound great. They have a really lively excited sound that really makes you think they jump out of the group as great sounding monitors. This is bad... once you get them home you'll realize very quickly how hard they are on your ears. VERY fatiguing. ALSO, I had to replace each monitor 3 times on warranty in 2 months. That's 6 speakers??!! The tweeters kept going. (No, I don't monitor at loud volumes!!) They don't completely blow, they just start to make a strange noise that almost sounds like paper rattling on your desk. I ended up returning them for Adam A7's and I couldn't be happier. They don't have nearly as much bottom end as the Yamaha's, but they are a much truer monitor and not nearly as fatiguing. I use a sub with them to fill out the lack of bass, but my control room is fairly big. If you use them in a smaller room, you likely wouldn't need a sub. Yes they are a little more money but TRUST ME, you will like them much more. I hate to admit it though.. those Yamaha's had great aesthetic appeal!! There are plenty other monitors in this price range that are far better than these. In any case, hope you find something that works for you!!
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

thanks Dirt for your un- substantiated claims
I'm sure we'll all take note!@
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

C'mon now John, that's not fair. I gave some insight based on my actual experience with the yamaha's. I tried to love em man, they just weren't cutting it and I had 6 mechanical failures in just over 2 months. I actually hadn't even realized how fatiguing they were till I got the other ones! When I re-read my post, it occurred to me I came flyin' in here like some kinda Adam sales rep or something haha! Sorry bout that!!

Anyway, sorry if I got off on the wrong foot here. Lemme start again. Hi everyone, my name is Dustin. I currently hail from Winnipeg Canada. I'm a live sound engineer. I'm in the working stages of building a studio, as in, I work- and a little more gets built!! :-) I'm working in a 2000 sq/ft space with a 1200 sq/ft live room with 12 foot ceilings. My initial projects are sounding wonderful and I'm quite happy with the space. There is always room for improvement though! I'll post some pics of the space so you guys can gimme some hints on problem areas you see. I also play in a Ska/Rock band called The Afterbeat that is currently in a Budweiser commercial. (shameless self promotion!) We're currently working on a new album with Dean Maher at Mushroom Studios in Vancouver.

So, that all said.. I've been searching online for a few months now to find a community like this, and I'm glad I have. I've had a great time reading for 2 days in here now haha! Cheers guys!
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

as i said - I have the 50Ms - no problems with them.
Zoli

Post by Zoli »

Dirt wrote:Hi, this is my first post. I registered specifically to give you my insight to the HS80M's. In the store, they sound great. They have a really lively excited sound that really makes you think they jump out of the group as great sounding monitors. This is bad... once you get them home you'll realize very quickly how hard they are on your ears. VERY fatiguing. ALSO, I had to replace each monitor 3 times on warranty in 2 months. That's 6 speakers??!! The tweeters kept going. (No, I don't monitor at loud volumes!!) They don't completely blow, they just start to make a strange noise that almost sounds like paper rattling on your desk. I ended up returning them for Adam A7's and I couldn't be happier. They don't have nearly as much bottom end as the Yamaha's, but they are a much truer monitor and not nearly as fatiguing. I use a sub with them to fill out the lack of bass, but my control room is fairly big. If you use them in a smaller room, you likely wouldn't need a sub. Yes they are a little more money but TRUST ME, you will like them much more. I hate to admit it though.. those Yamaha's had great aesthetic appeal!! There are plenty other monitors in this price range that are far better than these. In any case, hope you find something that works for you!!
Thanks!

You wrote it too late - I already have them... :)
Purusha

Post by Purusha »

Never heard these, but can suggest at least to try out the Focal 6Be Solo if not even the Twins. You will be surprised.
God is the best DIY creator :)

Purusha
Aaron Ledbetter

Re: First studio monitors - Yamaha HS80M or something else?.

Post by Aaron Ledbetter »

Zoli wrote:
Thanks!

You wrote it too late - I already have them... :)
Zoli - Do you have a follow up on your purchase?? I'm in a similar boat - i need some new near fields and I'm heavily considering the HS80m's...

All the reviews seem to put it out in front of anything in it's price range - but I don't have a good place to go audition them...

Are you happy with your purchase?