Sound Clip from my drum room

Get your "what mic?" frustration or "have you heard" out here. The language could get real okka in here mate.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

John Sayers
Site Admin

Re: Sound Clip from my drum room

Post by John Sayers »

Ok Stuart - try this one
Sound 2_eq.mp3
I think the problem is that I have to convert the mp3 to wave because Harbal won't accept mp3. I used Any-audio-converter - this time I used SoundForge for both conversions.

BTW - the point of this exercise was to point out that the track has two peaks, one at 45 and the other At 200 hz according to Harbal's frequency anaylsis..
jbassino

Post by jbassino »

Hehe, seems you guys had some fun! Good

OK, you can have fun again because I have new clips

Drums Other room: Drums with no eq (at least software, I might added some top end at tracking on toms etc), with a small room mike and the other room mike

Drums Small room: Same but with only the small room mike

Drums dry: No room mikes, only close mikes

The only thing going on in the box is compression. I compressed the drum group, and I compressed to death all room mikes.

So I guess you can have a good picture of how my room sounds like, and its versatility :)
jbassino

Post by jbassino »

Actually,
What about a sound samples section?
It would be great to hear how everyone's studios sound like, so far, we only see pictures of wood and cloth! If people actually HEARS what a slotted wall drum room sound like, or different materials, it would be easier for them(us) decide which construction method or style fits our needs more, rather than just looking at some weird graphs and what not
Just saying 8)
limsa-terry

Post by limsa-terry »

Thanks for sharing that secret Stuart :D
Soundman2020 wrote: To finish the recipe!
Blend all of the above ingredients in a suitable high-speed mixer, simmer over a good hot CD burner for 30 seconds, turning regularly, season to taste. Serves millions. :)
That's definitely heard on your version of the track :D
Soundman2020 wrote:Of course, the original recording is a big part of getting that sound: If it had not been well recorded with a decent drum kit in a good room (shameless plug for Javier there!!!), then there's no way it would have turned out like that. So it's basically thanks to Javier that it turned out OK, not thanks to me! (Call him for rates and schedules.... :) )
Yeah I know that. I've recorded drummers in a bad sounding rooms many times :-? I can't wait to get my liveroom construction finished :D

Javier, Thanks for sharing those clips. I'll analyze them later :D

-janne
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Ok Stuart - try this one
Ahhh! Much better. No clipping now. I guess it was the conversion process that was screwing that up.
BTW - the point of this exercise was to point out that the track has two peaks, one at 45 and the other At 200 hz according to Harbal's frequency anaylsis..
Yes, I got that. It looks like a very neat EQ. And not too expensive, either! I got practically the same info from Samplitude, but not in the same format. Is that what you use?

- Stuart -
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Hehe, seems you guys had some fun! Good
Yep! It's fun mangling your drums! :)

Anyway, I had a few minutes free, so I played around a bit more and got another version for comments:

http://www.digistar.cl/images/javier-drums-S03_01.mp3

I haven't looked at the new files yet, but I will!

- Stuart -