New to Studio Construction, Can anyone pls help.

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Sheet rock, drywall, gyp rock, gyp board, wallboard, gypsum wallboard, gypsum, plasterboard, all the same thing.

Andre, sorry to correct one little thing but it DOES matter if you glue successive layers in the same wall leaf - doing that causes all the layers to act as one, which generally reduces the effectiveness of the isolation. This is because leaving each layer in a leaf to act on its own causes more than one panel resonance, and more than one coincidence dip. This means that whatever frequency gets through ONE of the layers easiest will NOT get through the other layer(s) as easy, due to the different resonance - in fact, about the only GOOD reason to glue multi layers is to lower the panel resonance - but this comes at a cost of having all the weakness in that leaf be at one frequency. That frequency will pass through easier. It's better to achieve lowered mass-air-mass resonance in a wall by increasing the air cavity between leaves, and by constructing each leaf in a double leaf wall different from its partner so that the two leaves don't have the same characteristics.

Silk, actually we'll need EXACT construction details on your whole space in order to not steer you wrong on this - and with a budget of only $800, you don't want to have to do anything twice.

You need to check out some of the drawings both here and on the design forum, and do some drawing of your own, showing existing and proposed wall construction, ceiling construction, room shape, etc - Then we will be more able to suggest ways to go and ideas to keep within budget... Steve
AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Post by AVare »

Nothing to apologize for. Correcting people AND providing the underlying knowledge is how we learn.
doing that causes all the layers to act as one,...
An excellent description of the theory why the layers should not be glued together!

I used to believe this, until I read from several acoustics designers (and yes I can not remember where or which ones) that they believe that making it one contiguous leaf is actually better. As you wrote, the best way to lower the partition resonance is to increase the space. Are there any studies published on this issue? I am not aware of any. :cry:

This has intrigued me enough that I will do some calculations and post the results for discussion in a separate thread.

Going back to the subject of the thread:
You need to check out some of the drawings both here and on the design forum, and do some drawing of your own, showing existing and proposed wall construction, ceiling construction, room shape, etc - Then we will be more able to suggest ways to go and ideas to keep within budget...
Great advice. Keeping us on topic and helping Silk.

Andre
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

One thing I've considered is doing walls with one side glued and on 12" stud centers for mass/stiffness, then the other leaf on steel, with resilient channel, and three different thicknesses of NOT glued gypsum. Eric doesn't think this difference in thickness matters much, but I've seen calculations that show it helps at least a bit... (note I said Calculations, not reality, though) Steve