Video Connectivity & Patchbay

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

Katrin

Video Connectivity & Patchbay

Post by Katrin »

background information;

I've been asked to connect and video and audio link between a studio space. The studio has not yet been constructed and is being built on a flat open grassy landscape. So walls can be changed/modified for the wiring. Its still in the design stage. (United Kingdom). This is for a new music teacher space in Derby ideal for recording, performing shows (not just music but theatre productions) and rehearsal.

The Performance room and control room are both 15m (l) x 10m (w) x 5m (h) and is immediately below the first floor rehearsal room. There needs to be a video connection between the rehearsal room and control room, The Performance room and Control room. Adjacent to this is a large audotorium for proper stage performances with seating. But this room isn't important at the moment =)

I don't think budget is a problem as the building itself will be a maximum of £100,000 and the majority of the equipment is being ripped out of the old studio.

-

My initial thought is to use a camera in both performance and rehearsal room with wireless connectivity to a monitor in the control room. But I've not heard of this being done before. The performance room will have a conduit so pulling cables through for a video link there would be easy but its the room below that is the problem. Adding another conduit would be easy...but would it just be a lot easier to use wireless connection throughout?

Also, the rehearsal and performance room are going to have the same video link back to the control room (So they can see the people in the control room). Again, wireless would make this simple. But if not. Please propose what should be done.

-

I'm familiar with patchbays, although I still find everyone I see in a studio really confusing, but setting one up myself is totally new. Is there any suggestions that could help me get through the process of making a fully operating patchbay.

I feel very stupid and unconfident about my capabilities =) So any help is appreciated. I'm working for friends and family and I don't want to let them down, infact I want to do more than that. I want to impress them!

-

This forum is excellent and I've learnt so much from studying it in the past few days.
NativeLuv17

Re: Video Connectivity & Patchbay

Post by NativeLuv17 »

My initial thought is to use a camera in both performance and rehearsal room with wireless connectivity to a monitor in the control room. But I've not heard of this being done before.
This is what I am doing for my drum room and my entrance. I am going to have wireless cameras in each of those rooms, with the receiver in my control room to a small monitor. The issue with the wireless cameras are the frequency at which they work at. I know a lot of the wireless ones work on the same frequencies as most Internets which will completely disrupt it. This isn't to say it wont interfere with any of the audio or audio equipment either. What I am doing is simply trial, if there's any interference I will remove them. I would look into hardwired cameras first provided they do not operate at any give frequencies, but I do not know if there are any out there which do not. I can honestly say that I do not know much about cameras and their feeds, just giving you a little heads up. :wink:
Gvgeyuhi Edudi, Nulinega!! Hoka Hey!!!